by Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
February 6, 2016
I recently came across three reasons why tinnitus will never go away. So if you can’t get your tinnitus to habituate and fade into the background (at least to some degree), see if one of these reasons might apply to you.
Here is an excerpt from the new 7th edition of my tinnitus book, “When Your Ears Ring”.
About 10% of people with tinnitus find that nothing seems to help them. Dr. Jastreboff, the father of Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), with rare insight, explains why.
He reports that 82% of patients experience clear improvement, although approximately 90% of patients report at least some improvement. “Regarding the remaining 10%,” he explains, “I have learned to predict when TRT will or will not be successful.”
There are those who take large doses of benzodiazepines. (His definition of a “large dose” is 1.5 mg or more per day, but this may vary depending on the specific benzodiazepine you are taking. In this case he was specifically talking about Alprazolam (Xanax). Benzodiazepines prevent neural plasticity and hence any habituation to tinnitus.)
There is a group of patients who use tinnitus as a means of getting social attention, who need to feel victimized, and will never get better because they do not want to put an end to what makes them special.
There are a group of patients who do not want to get better for financial reasons, so that they can receive health care benefits, after a car accident, for example.
If you fall into any of the above classes, you now know the very first thing you must do if you ever want to get control of your tinnitus.
You can get your own copy of the new, expanded 7th edition of “When Your Ears Ring” when it comes out for the same price as the current 6th edition—just $22.95 plus shipping if you act now. The day the new 7th edition comes out (sometime in late February, 2016), the price will immediately go up. So save now. Click on “When Your Ears Ring 7th Edition” to order the new 7th edition and it will be shipped to you as soon as it is available.