by Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
Tammy, a hard of hearing lady, explained, “In spite of the many hardships I’ve experienced from my progressive hearing loss, I am by nature an optimist and always try to see the silver-lining and humour in situations. I have had countless opportunities to laugh at myself over misunderstood conversations, misheard words, etc.
Over the years of living with hearing loss and tinnitus I have developed a light-hearted list. I think you may appreciate it.
10 REASONS TO LOVE YOUR HEARING LOSS
1. You don’t hear mosquitoes buzzing.
2. You have a legitimate excuse not to listen to annoying people.
3. You don’t have to sit for jury duty (been there, done that).
4. You don’t have to participate in phone surveys.
5. You truly believe you are a genius who has all the answers (not realizing that someone else has just said the same thing).
6. Life is full of surprises–when you finally clue in to something everyone else has known for awhile (i.e. your colleague is pregnant).
7. You don’t hear your partner snore.
8. You laugh twice at every joke. The first time when everyone else is laughing. The second time when you finally hear the joke.
9. Your hearing aids prevent earaches when the cold wind is blowing.
10. You always have the last word in an argument (at least, that’s what you believe).”
You’re right Tammy, I love this list. Thanks for sending it.